Edwardian · Historical Sew Monthly Projects · Petticoats · Undergarments · Victorian

Completed: Folkwear 203 Edwardian Petticoat/HSM Dec. ’22

The December Historical Sew Monthly Challenge theme was “New Era” and while I’ve sewn some late Victorian/Early Edwardian costumes before they were always for the theater, not for myself. It is exciting to expand my historical wardrobe into a new time period, especially one that I have loved ever since I was very young.

Photo by author.

Pattern: Folkwear 203
Size: Large (12-14)
Time Frame: October 10-Nov 5
Fabric: JoAnn Fabric’s Premium Bleached Muslin 90″ wide, 3 yards (I also cut out the pattern’s camisole and drawers with this yardage; $22.48)
Trim: Beaded lace from stash, ribbon leftover from my frog reticule
Notions: Thread ($4.19), grosgrain tape ($3.99), homemade bias tape
Needle: Size 12 universal, stitch length 3
Total Cost: ~$13 in materials
Historical Accuracy: The shape seems quite right, but I know the materials are a bit off. I have handled petticoats from this period but it is nigh impossible to find such fine cottons and linens anymore. Also the synthetic fiber trims are in imitation of period correct trims, but obviously those would have been of natural fibers.

Photo by author.

Notes

  • This was very straightforward to sew.
  • I would say it is a little on the slim side for an 1890s look, unless you are going for someone who is not high fashion or as well off, it is more of a true Edwardian period petticoat.
  • I used french seams to finish the edges.
  • The smaller ruffle underneath the larger flounce really does make a difference in the petticoat’s fluff factor.
  • I wasn’t sure how to finish off the ribbon in the beaded lace, so I just cut tails and tied it in a bow.
  • I used a polyester grosgrain ribbon for the drawstring and so far it seems to hold ok.
  • The placket design on the petticoat is a bit better than on the drawers.
Photo by author.

Alterations

  • The only “alteration” I made was to cut the flounce pieces in different lengths to economize my fabric use. But then I stupidly did gathering threads for each section, which made it very difficult to evenly distribute it.
Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s