Progress on my stays has gone slow. I seem to have trouble switching back and forth between reading/writing and working with my hands. It is much easier if I can take a half a day or more to work on one sort of work and then switch the next day. This is not the case with all sewing projects, but my schoolwork is so intense that when I get to the end of the day, when I would normally take some time to sew, I am very mentally drained. Being not only a very complex project with many stages, but also in the early stages of it, I find I need a lot of mental space to work on these stays.
At this point I’ve gotten the gussets all in and I’m working on tracing the stitching lines for the cording channels. Since I did several alterations to the original pattern I couldn’t just trace from her original lines and so that took some thinking.
Notes Thus Far
- In future, I would prefer to staystitch around the gusset slits before cutting them.
- In the same vein, I wish I had had the foresight to trace the cording/boning channel lines before I stitched in the gussets. It made it much more difficult to line things up once the pieces were distorted three-dimensionally.
- I don’t have a light box and being in late fall the days are quite short so I had to trace the channel stitching lines over several days when the light hit a certain window really well in the afternoon. I just taped the pieces on the window while I worked. Sometimes I would trace a single line and then measure the distance between it and the parallel lines and just draw them on that way.